The Sports Lab’s overarching goal is to connect MIT students and researchers with practitioners to think deeply and collaboratively at the intersection of engineering, social sciences, and data science in the context of sports technology and analytics. Through education and research, The Sports Lab helps teams deploy innovative solutions, while creating and sustaining a championship-caliber culture.
Who We Engage With
Partnering with leaders across sports, The Sports Lab provides: early entry into advancements in the field, facilitates cross-industry learnings, offers unparalleled access to the latest innovations across disciplines, and helps organizations define and grow their expertise. Engagement options:
- MIT Sports Summit Sponsor (annual Fall event)
- Industry Member
- Sponsored Ph.D. Research
- Pro-Sports Consortium
- Industry Partnership
Challenges We Address
The Sports Lab addresses complex questions facing sports teams like:
- How can we best make use of incoming data steams both on and off the field?
- How can we engage fans to maximize revenue?
- How much should we invest in sports technology and analytics?
- How should we integrate advances in AI and ML into our organization?
- How can we get access to elite talent and accelerate advanced analytics research?
- What does the future structure of sports analytics look like?
Areas of Interest
The Sports Lab uses advanced analytics to address complex challenges in a diverse set of areas:
- Player Identification & Development
- In-game Strategy
- Athlete Health & Performance
- Next Generation Fan Engagement & OTT
- Smart Stadiums & Venues
- Data-driven Decision Making
- Sports Technology Assessment
- Advanced Sustainable Manufacturing
Through an engagement with the MIT Sports Lab your organization can benefit from:
- Member-directed research (undergraduate and graduate)
- Research / project management & support
- Navigation of MIT’s resources and ecosystem
- Curated on-site visits
- Invitation to Annual MIT Sports Summit (held in November)
- Speaking opportunities (classes, sponsored events, etc.)
- Student recruitment
- Introductions to relevant MIT academic research organizations and events
You can get started with the MIT Sports Lab by contacting our team directly. We will work with you to better understand your needs, evaluate how we can help you, and explore options for engagement.
Are you an MIT student? Please fill out our interest form and a member of our lab will be in touch soon!